A DGFT license is a permit given by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry for food and drugs to import, manufacture or sell a certain quantity of a drug or chemical.
The requirements for obtaining a DGFT license for restricted items are stringent and must be followed strictly by all applicants. There are certain restrictions on who can obtain such a license and what can be imported under such a condition.
What is a Restricted Item?
All items that can only import with a licence, authorization, or in compliance with a certain process outlined in a notification or public notice are considered “restricted” goods.
The step-by-step process for filing an online application for an Import license is as under:
- Go to the DGFT website at dgft.gov.in.
- Select the “Services” tab
- Choose “Online ECOM Application” by clicking on “ECOM”.
- It will open a page with “e-filling of Application” (http://dgftcom.nic.in/eComapplications.html).
- “Restricted Item for import licence” Select this.
- After OTP-based authentication, access the application using your email or mobile device.
- Complete the IEC details*, RCMC details (if applicable), and other data fields with the import item details; add documents (in pdf format, with a maximum file size of 5MB); and make an online payment
- From the dropdown list, choose the relevant jurisdictional RA, then submit your application.
- The applicant’s email and mobile device will immediately get an acknowledgement of their application.
Where can importers get the list of restricted goods required for import licences?
- Visit https://www.dgft.gov.in/, the DGFT website.
- Go to Import, Export, and SCOMET Policy under Regulatory Updates.
- Then select Restricted Items. Details: Importers can view the list of restricted items here.
Documentation needed to apply for a restricted import licence
Document’s required for application to get Restricted Import
- Adhar card and Pan card of Authorized Signatory
- Authorization from concern dept.
- LicenseImport-Export License
- MSME Certificate
- Board resolution copy
List of Restricted Items :
- Live animals & Bovine Semen
- Live Animals for R&D Purpose
- Horse for sportsmen
- Ozone-depleting substance
- Tyre scrap/ Lead scrap/battery scrap
- Arms & Ammunition
- Import of Gold – Dore
- Transmitter or Communication Device
- Refurbished electronic products
- Import of Silver – Dore
- Aircraft/hot Air balloons/helicopter/UAVs
- Wild Animals under the animal exchange programme
List of Concerned Departments that authorize the import of restricted items
- Live animals and bovine semen for breeding purposes etc:- NoC From concerned state animal husbandry department
- Hose for sportsmen:- Recommendation from the equestrian federation
- Import of Pets:- Pet Book along with the return tickets (if applicable and any other relevant document read the guidelines of DGFT
- and Import of live animals for R&D Purposes:- Certification of having R & D facilities
- Import of Tyre scrap / Lead scrap/battery scrap:- DIC/Udyog aadhar, NOC From MoEF&CC
- and Import of slag:- State pollution control board certificate
- Import of ozone-depleting substance:-CA Certificate indicating production/ consumption data for the last 3 years
- Import of Wild Animals Under Animal Exchange Programme:- Recommendation of Central Zoo Authority
- Aircraft/Helicopter/Hot Air Balloons/ UAVs:- DGCA Permission
- Transmitter or Communication Device:- Regional WPC Permission/NOC
- Refurbished Electronic items:- BIS Registration Certificate or Exemption letter from MeITY